Thursday, October 1, 2009

FINALLY starting to learn!

Throughout high school I never seemed to study and if I did it was the night before a test or quiz. For me, high school was sort of a joke, it didn’t do much to further my knowledge or test me. I am not saying that I did not learn anything throughout my four years at Rice Lake High, but I do not feel I was pushed as much as I should have been. Since most of the material came naturally to me I never fully developed adequate study skills, which I now realize will kick my butt if I do not improve upon these skills.

Now that I am in college, I have realized how bad my study habits really were. To be honest, I don’t even know if they would be qualified as study habits. I never took time out of everyday to review my notes like I was told to do each day. I know that it is easier to remember material when you review it each day but I never felt motivated enough to do so. Instead of reviewing my notes or taking real time to finish my homework to the best of my abilities, I would lie on the couch and watch TV or hang out with my friends.

Since my first Anatomy and Physiology exam was sort of a bust, I decided that I need to improve upon these study skills now! The thing is, since I was not a great studier in high school, I do not know which method to use now. I do not know what will help me remember information, which is critical for me seeing that I have a bad memory to start with. I am starting to review my notes a little each day in hopes that it will help.

I have also started putting way more into my courses, out of class that is. I devote more of my “free time” to studying and preparing different activities for me to practice with. I realize now that I really should not have had much free time during high school, I just chose to make it, therefore disenabling my opportunity to learn more. Now, I chose to devote my time to anything that will improve my grades or help me better my study habits. If anyone has any study habits that work wonders for them I would very much appreciate any suggestions. I am willing to try anything to better my studying, hoping to improve my grades here at Western!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I think I might have somewhat of the same problem as you. I don't study as much as i should, but the little studying really helps. I think a good way for you to study for Anatomy and Physiology would to make note cards of each part and its function. I think notecards have been a life saver for me back in highschool for French and Science because there was so much memorization that I had to do. Hopefully you will get some good study habits and be successful here at Western.

    ReplyDelete