Friday, October 9, 2009

Rivoli Theatre

This past weekend my roommate and I were bored on a Saturday night and were contemplating what to do to occupy our time. Of course we could walk between the UWL or Western Campus on a Saturday night and find tons of parties but we wanted to do something different. As I searched the Internet for things to do in La Crosse I came across several movie theatres. According to Google Maps, the Rivoli Theatre was the closest theatre to where I live. Without any other grand ideas of what we could do, we decided to walk downtown to see a movie.

As we came up to the theatre we were surprised by the outer appearance. The movie theatre looked like an old movie theatre, which it turns out, appears the same on the inside. As we waited in the long line with tons of other college students we became very excited seeing the options of movies we could view. My roommate and I decided that we were going to watch The Hangover, but that wasn’t even the best part of the night.

When we got to the cash register, we found out that we would be able to watch a recent movie at such a low price, which any college student would appreciate. With a student ID, any student can watch a movie for only three dollars! It is such a great deal, especially when the movies have been very recently released. Adult prices are also cheap at only four dollars, while Seniors can attend a movie for three dollars. Children can get into a movie for only two dollars, as well as everyone else for matinees. So even though the theatre’s movies are not brand new, they are still very recent and you cannot beat the prices. You can’t even rent a new movie for that price!

The Rivoli Theatre has only two viewing rooms, the main theatre, and the smaller screening room. We were lucky enough to sit in the main theatre to watch The Hangover. The main theatre is absolutely gorgeous. First of all it can accommodate so many people with all its seats, but the surrounding walls look like a seen from Romeo and Juliet, it honestly looks like a scene of an old play. The seating is also great because there is floor seating with tables, but also seating above, set up like bleachers (but actual chairs) so that each level rises, providing each person with a great view of the movie.

The Theatre is also great because it had such a wide variety of food and drinks. You can search the theatre and on there site is a full menu of great snacks. You can purchase sandwiches, pizzas, gyros, ice cream, the traditional popcorn and candy, and even more. The theatre is also very fun because it gets everyone really into the movie. It does not require the viewers to be quiet or serious. I mean obviously people are respectful but everyone is able to laugh, clap, and cheer together which definitely occurred frequently during the viewing of The Hangover. The overall feel and atmosphere of the theatre was just great and I would advise everyone to attend a movie at the Rivoli Theatre.

3 comments:

  1. i am very suprised you never heard of the rivoli they show movies that are out of theaters but in between theaters and dvd. great place to see cheap good movies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really funny because I actually went to go see the Hangover on Saturday night as well. My two of my friends that go to UW-Madison and Iowa State came into town last weekend and they thought it was a good idea to see it for only three dollars. To be quite honest, I thought the three of us would be a small few there but we also had to stand out in the cold for like twenty minutes for us to get in. I've been to the Rivoli before so I thought nothing of it but I am glad to see that you appericated the uniqueness of it and hope you go there again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only been to that theater once. It was when I was a little kid. I can't remember what movie I went to see either. That place is really neat tho.

    ReplyDelete